Founded in 2004 as the "Alumnae Cantores" for choristers graduating from Concert Choir, Cantores promotes the highest level of artistic achievement in choral performance for young women in grades 10 through 12. The choir performs a wide range of musical genres, including gospel, jazz, collegiate a cappella, rock, and minimalist music, in addition to music of the baroque and classical periods. The Cantores have sung throughout the tri-state area, with recent engagements as featured artists in The Princeton Festival, at Drumthwacket (the New Jersey Governor's residence), with The Graduate Choir of the Keystone State Boychoir, and with Ricky Fante of EMI Records in New York City.
Cantores members may also audition for the select PGC Ensemble, a smaller group that specializes in chamber repertoire and performs more frequently during the season.
The time commitment for Cantores includes:
- 2.5-hour weekly rehearsals Mondays
- retreats (generally two Saturday afternoons per year)
- periodic individual evaluations throughout the year
- dress and pre-concert rehearsals
- winter and spring concerts
- additional concerts and choral collaborations as opportunities arise
The Cantores are directed by Thomas T. Shelton.